A Guide to Business Formation Services
The modern onset of the digital age and rapid advancements in telecommunications are continuing to make the world more interconnected. The globe is progressively feeling smaller; nations are becoming closer than ever. And in these current times, with the advent of business formation services, forming an internationally-incorporated company is as easy as it has ever been.
The rising of investor confidence is due to the quality business formation services that play crucial roles in company formation in a foreign jurisdiction. More and more companies are being founded every day, making HR outsourcing and company formation services essential to businesses.
The term offshore has been very much associated with the negativity of tax avoidance in the eyes and minds of the public over the past decades. But this is mainly due to vote-seeking politicians and the ravenous trenches of mainstream global media which misconstrues all the intricacies that come into play when it comes to the realm of international investment. While it is true that the legal minimization of tax is can be achieved by placing income assets in an offshore company, it is not the sole dubious reason for the formation of offshore companies.
The clear number of companies that are registered offshore demonstrate how important and essential offshore jurisdictions have become to the global financial system and world investment flows. For example, The British Virgin Islands is home to almost a million companies. This consists of almost one-third of companies that are actively registered in the United Kingdom.
Expectedly, some offshore companies are doing better in terms of development as compared to others. Hong Kong for instance, is home to favorable tax rates and regime, and is vastly benefiting from Asia’s rise as a major player in the world economic sphere. The recorded success of increasing company registration from the past years is astounding.
There is no black-and-white definition that clearly identifies the schemata for an offshore business, but Hong Kong is a great example of a country or territory that shares and exemplifies the characteristics of offshore jurisdiction. Hong Kong is often used by international investors in the same way as an offshore jurisdiction, primarily due to the low-tax and financial hubs.
Offshore businesses in the widest sense, simply implies that a business or company is incorporated in any foreign jurisdiction.
Advantages of Forming an Offshore Business
A great reason on why individuals would desire to form a limited corporation is due to a separate legal existence from said owners. Blend this factor with the tax advantages of low-tax jurisdiction and the other various benefits. Several offshore jurisdictions retain initial company laws that allow for the forming of International Business Companies of IBCs, which are typically for exclusive non-residents and are generally exempt from corporate tax and other taxes that resident onshore companies have to adhere to. While there are a few number of offshore jurisdictions that have eradicated IBCs or similar breeds of businesses in recent times, it is typically the case that tax advantages have been extensive for non-resident as well as non-resident companies for the purpose of that jurisdiction to retain its attractive qualities for potential foreign investors.
A country such as Belize, for example, has IBCs formed under the International Business Company Act 1990, and is specified to be exempt from any form of income taxes, transaction tax, and capital gains. IBCs in Belize can operate their businesses in any foreign currency that it may particularly choose, and is exempt from Belize’s government restrictions and regulations.
- Belize IBCs are commonly utilized to secure trading accounts in the United States, Canada and Europe, either on direct terms or through Belizean intermediaries. Other uses may include the holding of title to real estate in jurisdictions other than Belize, as well as colleting royalties, commissions, and dividends.
- However, there are some identified restrictions as to what an IBC in Belize is capable of. They are prohibited from proceeding with business with residents of Belize, owning interest rates in situated Belizean property (with exemption of property lease for office purposes), carrying on with bank business, insurance business, and providing registered agents or offices for companies. –Although there are some variations, these restrictions are generally similar for IBC legislation across the globe.
Many wealthy personas also utilize offshore companies for the purpose of protecting their assets due to the highly-enhanced privacy that is provided from interposing an offshore corporate organization between owner and asset. Simply put, IBCs can be used for the purpose of asset protection.
The Foundation is the civil law equivalent of a common trust law. While two types of entities differ in certain integral ways, they are for the most part, utilized in reaching similar outcomes –wealth planning and asset protection. A country such as Panama is a great example for foundation jurisdictions.
There are many other reasons as to why individuals may feel the need and desire to form an offshore company. Career expats and global entertainers, world-class athletes, and entrepreneurs often share the sentiment that establishing a business in different offshore territories is a great means for them to receive earned income from several different countries.
Other individuals or professionals may use offshore corporations as a means to hold assets, investments, and be a core component to their retirement solutions.
Many jurisdictions have made heavy investments in the world of telecommunication infrastructures, and have mixed the flexibility of company formats with low tax rates. These have come to take shape as the baselines for e-commerce type operations. The structures of offshore companies are also generally used by insurance sectors, mutual hedge funds, and the shipping industries. Several jurisdictions have specialized in one or more of these sectors over the past decades.
Requirements for Business Formation
With the rise of digital platforms in line with business formation services, it is now a generally straightforward process to form an offshore business. In many avenues, a company can be formed and running within a 24-hour time span.
Requirements may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction in terms of policy towards shareholders, officers, minimum capital, meetings, the filing of accounts, etc. And in almost all cases, initial registration fees are strictly required to be paid to the local government, as opposed to direct taxes. Below is a general list of essential IBC characteristics:
- No minimum paid capital requirement
- Capital can be expressed in foreign currency
- May issue bearer shares and shares of no par value, although bearer shares must be held in custody of a local agent
- Subscribers may include a corporation, individual, or Trust
- A business may have nominee shareholders utilizing locally licensed and registered agents
- Minimum of at least 1 director of whom can be an individual in the corporation
- No requirement of a secretary (although they may be useful)
- A company must maintain a registered agent and a locally registered office using license individuals or companies
- No requirements for IBC to file details that relate to shareholders or directors of filing of accounting reports or audits
- No exchange controls for IBC
- Foreign companies may re-domicile as IBCs
Choosing the Appropriate Jurisdiction
There are over 200 countries to select from when in the process of forming a business. So it is imperative that you coordinate with the best business formation services that are available to you and your organization.
With the many common law jurisdictions, many of which have modeled their company and trust legislation on English Law, have similar foregrounds. With that being said, the jurisdiction that you choose is ultimately dependent on how you and your company plan to utilize said laws in order to achieve your goals.
Another consideration of utmost importance is if local laws are able to permit you to use your company for its initial and intended purposes. Some important questions to ask yourself are:
- Will the professional infrastructure be sufficient?
- Will communication with foreign jurisdiction advisors be clear, smooth, and concise?
- What is the cost to set up and maintain the business?
- Is the jurisdiction politically and economically stable?
The Process of Working with Business Formation Services
Company formation is essentially the incorporation of a business within a jurisdiction. A company can be onshore or offshore, but this is heavily dependent on the business investor’s needs. Upon the fulfillment of the incorporation process, the newly-established company will then become a separate legal entity with its own set of rights and obligations. Companies are owned by shareholders, managed by its inter directors with the business owners specifying corporate governance through the Articles of Association or AoA.
- The initial step is that business formation services will provide you with accurate and expert advice that will assist you as to finding the most appropriate structure and type for the new company that you are in the process of establishing.
- Once you and your associates have decided to subscribe to the services of a business formation firm, you and your organization are going to need to authorize one of the business formation service’s team consultant members to submit the required corporate formation application on behalf of you and your partners.
- Following this step, the business formation service will process all the formalities as quickly as possible in order to keep you and your associates up to date on the status of your business formation application.
- The final step of the procedure is to continue with necessary coordination and the business formation service will inform you promptly with regards to the finalization and completion of the company formation process.
With the right business formation service, you are guaranteed that your application will be handled and monitored efficiently as well as effectively. It is an essential step of the procedure that you provide the business formation service with all the required documentation and information on time. It is only after all the necessary files have been set that the business formation service can submit the necessary corporate information to the local authorities of your chosen jurisdiction and have the process underway.
The different types of business entities as well as the business jurisdiction are the main factors that affect the overall length of the business formation process. In the case of something in the form of a ‘shelf company’, it would be simply a matter of about 1 week for you to fully own your new company.
But in the case that a client desires and feels a necessity to establish a tailor-fit company with utmost specification in line with the particularities of a foreign country, the time requirement for company formation would substantially take longer. The intricacies of the process vary in terms of a country-to-country basis. And the overall procedure may take up to 3 months in processing length.
Business Formation Services with NN Road
Business formation and matters that concern international jurisdiction or corporate ties can be an incredibly challenging feat for individuals and business owners. With the rapidly escalating rise of global-interconnectedness through digital platforms, it is imperative and crucial that you go with the best resources on the market.
NN Road is an internationally renowned global platform that is highly-reputable for impeccable professional services. Our robust platform that operates with local jurisdiction providers through a team of excellent talents can be a great assistance as to managing and expanding your business on a global scale. Our consultants have been expertly trained and have several years of experience under their belt in arenas such as human resources, marketing, and legal management.
You can certainly depend on NN Road for quality and nuanced service when it comes to growing your business on multi-national degrees. The reliable and safe business formation services of NN Road have been providing support for worldwide clientele through employment solutions, payroll processing, benefits administration, corporate formation, and international legal compliance.
Upon request, the highly-experienced NN Road team will send customized proposals with you and your businesses’ needs at heart. The total service fee also includes the company formation process with the exclusion of government fees.
Click here for more information on how NN Road can provide business formation services and assist you today.